Thursday, December 15, 2011

Ho, Ho, Ho

I walked into Barnes and Noble the other day and on their "featured" table was the new novel by the Kardashian sisters. The bile started to peculate, but with great concentration and a strong constitution I was able to hold it down. I turned around and walked out of the store. I promised myself I wouldn't write this blog until my emotions calmed down, although I don't think time has changed my opinion at all.

I didn't think the publishing industry could sink any lower than when Snooky "wrote" a book, but I guess I was wrong. We, all of us who are somehow connected to the publishing industry should be ashamed.

We can look at this in two ways. The first is that money and greed have overtaken the industry. The other is that publishers put out this garbage knowing that there are people foolish enough to buy it in order to have the funding to support new, lesser known writers who might not get a chance otherwise. I hope their reasoning is the latter, but...

I think what amazes me the most is that people will pay good money to buy this junk and worse, they actually think these airheads write these books. Think again. You need to be able to spell and put a sentence together in order to be able to write. Not to mention, having talent. Believe it or not, whining and showing cleavage is not a talent.

Purchasing a book for a loved one is a great gift to give during the holidays. It is something they will always cherish. If you do, please look at the new and upcoming authors and give them a chance. I know you'll be happy for that choice. Whatever your choice, even if it is trash written by trash, at least someone is reading, and that is always a good thing.

Merry Christmas,

J. M.

No comments:

Post a Comment